Oh, Camp Mighty, you magnificent bastard. How can I ever convey how amazing and rewarding you are in one post? Well, the truth is I probably can't but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna give a go.
First of all…for those who don't live in this world: what in the hell is Camp Mighty, anyways?
Camp Mighty is an annual retreat for bloggers and other creative folks (mostly women) where among other things, you work on your life list which is all the things you'd like to accompany in your lifetime. It lasts for a few days and the entire thing takes place at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs which is the perfect, most amazing location for such an event. Over the course of camp you listen to inspiring speakers, trade ideas and get motivation to get things done. This was my first year at Camp Mighty and I must you I loved it. I met some a couple of amazing new people (Nicole + Delilah, Meredith, Chelsea and Moorea, to name but a few). I heard some stimulating talks. I spent some quality time in the sun. I saw some of my favorite internet pals. And I came back with not only lots to think about but a fire in my belly to start accomplishing some of the things on my life list.
While at Camp Mighty we selected five goals from our larger life list that we want to complete in the next 6 months to a year. We broke out into teams and read our goals aloud. I think it's easy to make plans in the vacuum of your head (which I do all the time) but once you single out five of them, write them down and announce them to a group of people, suddenly you are accountable. And that's a good thing for yours truly who tends to have scads of plans and schemes but a tough time focusing and executing. Maybe separating a few out to focus in will be good for me because my mind can get distracted at the drop of a hat. After we shared our goals with the group, each camp member's list went up on a big resource wall. We could read everyone's goals and add notes if we could help or had a tip. It was of amazing to see not only all of the goals, but also all of the help and the support. It was hard not to geek out on all the inspiring women setting goals and gearing up to accomplish them.
And, in keeping with the accountability theme, I'm going to share my five goals here with y'all:
-Redo my professional website
-Host a dip only party. Call it Dip Wars.
-Perfect a signature caramel corn recipe.
-Volunteer with organization that mentors kids whose parents are incarcerated
-Turn 35 and not lost my shit
So, please follow along as I begin to tackle my first five goals. And click here to see
I loved you, Camp Mighty. I really did. And I'd recommend it to anyone. You don't need to have a blog or a small business. You just need to have some shit that you'd really like to get done. And who doesn't have that?
p.s. And here's some other (incredibly important) things you should know about Camp Mighty
1. They have a multitude of delicious specialty cocktails available at The Ace. 10 to be exact. My roommate and pal
and I tried all of them. That's how we roll. Also, you should know we nicknamed our room the lover's suite. These are important details.
2. Piper and Larry Kerman (of Orange is the New Black fame) were the key note speakers and they were both fascinating and I developed a crush on them as a couple. Also: I chatted with Larry in line for coffee one morning and he was lovely.3. Is this heaven? No you idiot, it's the pool at The Ace.
4. Giggling, y'all. Mother effing, giggling.
5. There is a Space Camp theme party. And there is dancing. And you do know I love dancing. I had big plans and schemes to make a rocket ship dress but at 10:15 on the eve of my flight out to Palm Springs I Threw in the towel and decided to wear a black dress I already owned covered in glow-in-the-dark star stickers (shown below). I was the whole solar system, y'all.6. Fact: one cannot take too many trips to the photo booth.
6. Even a solo trip is encouraged.